Welcome to my blog! Here, I’ll be sharing my tips and tricks for making beautiful jewelry with sea glass. I’ll show you how to select the best glass, how to cut it, and how to set it in metal. I’ll also share some of my own designs. So sit back, relax, and enjoy!
How to find sea glass
Glass that has been weathered by the sea is called “sea glass.” It is valued by treasure hunters, artists and crafters for its beauty, rarity and histories. You can find sea glass on any beach that has waves and is near a city or town. The best time to search for sea glass is after a storm when the waves have churned up the sand and brought the sea glass to the surface.
Here are some tips on how to find sea glass:
- Look for beaches with clean sand and few rocks. The best beaches for finding sea glass are those that have been swept clean by tides and waves.
- Check the beach after a storm. After a storm, the waves will have churned up the sand and brought the sea glass to the surface.
- Look for sea glass in areas where there are no buildings or houses nearby. The further away you are from civilisation, the more likely you are to find sea glass.
- Avoid beaches that are popular with tourists. These beaches tend to be picked clean of any treasures.
- Use a metal detector to help you find buried treasure.
How to clean sea glass
If you’re lucky enough to find sea glass on the beach, you might want to clean it before using it in jewelry or other crafts. It’s easy to do, and there are a few different ways to go about it.
The simplest way to clean sea glass is to rinse it off with fresh water. You can do this right after you find it, or if you’re collecting a lot of sea glass, you can rinse it all at once when you get home. If the sea glass is particularly dirty, you can soak it in a mixture of water and vinegar for a few minutes before rinsing.
If you want to sterilize the sea glass or if it has any organic matter clinging to it, you can boil it for a few minutes. Be sure to let the sea glass cool completely before handling it, as it will be very hot. You can also run it through the dishwasher on a hot cycle if you’re not comfortable boiling water.
Once your sea glass is clean, it’s ready to use in crafts or jewelry. You can also simply enjoy its beauty by displaying it in a vase or bowls.
How to drill sea glass
One of the most popular ways to make jewellery with sea glass is to drill it. This can be done with a regular household drill and a small diamond-tipped bit. Be sure to work slowly and carefully, and use plenty of water to keep the glass cool. You can practice on smaller pieces of glass first to get a feel for how fast or slow to drill.
How to wire wrap sea glass
Wire wrapping is one of the most popular ways to create jewellery with sea glass, as it allows you to show off the unique shape and colour of each piece of glass. If you’re new to wire wrapping, or just looking for a refresher, this step-by-step guide will show you how to create a simple pendant using just a few tools.
You will need:
-A piece of sea glass
-Wire (I used 20 gauge)
-Round nose pliers
- Cut a length of wire, leaving enough at the end to create a loop for attaching to a chain or bail. I started with about 18 inches (45cm).
- Wrap the wire around the edge of the glass, crossing over in the middle. This will act as a “cage” to keep the glass secure.
- Using your round nose pliers, make a small loop at the top of the glass. This will be where you attach your bail or chain.
- Wrap the wire around the base of the loop a few times to secure it in place, then trim off any excess with your wire cutters.
How to make sea glass earrings
If you’ve ever found a piece of sea glass on the beach, you know how satisfying it is to hold a little piece of the ocean in your hand. Now, you can turn that sea glass into a beautiful piece of jewelry with this tutorial for sea glass earrings. All you need is some sea glass, wire, and jump rings. You can also add beads or other charms to personalize your earrings.
How to make sea glass pendants
Making sea glass pendants is a great way to show off your beachcombing finds. And, it’s a super easy way to get started making jewelry with sea glass. All you need is some sea glass, jewelry wire, and a few tools to get started.
If you’re new to working with sea glass, start with pendants. They’re small and quick to make, so you can get a feel for how to work with the material before moving on to bigger projects. Plus, they make great gifts!
How to make sea glass bracelets
The crafting of sea glass bracelets is a beautiful way to showcase your favorite pieces of sea glass. Sea glass bracelets can be made with many different styles of jewelry findings, but the most popular style is the stretchy bracelet. This type of bracelet is very easy to make and does not require any special tools. You will need the following supplies:
-Sea glass in a variety of colors and sizes
-Stretchy beading cord
-Measuring tape or ruler
- Measure your wrist and cut a piece of stretchy beading cord that is about 2 inches longer than your wrist measurement.
- Thread your sea glass beads onto the beading cord, making sure to space them out evenly. If you want your bracelet to have a specific design, you can arrange the beads in a pattern before adding them to the cord.
- Once all of your beads are on the cord, tie a secure knot at each end of the bracelet. Make sure that the knots are tight so that your beads will not fall off.
- Trim any excess cord from each end of the bracelet, and you are finished!
How to make sea glass rings
Making sea glass rings is a fun and easy project that anyone can do. All you need is some sea glass, a ring blank, and a little bit of creativity. Here’s how to get started:
- Start by gather your materials. You will need some sea glass, a ring blank, and some adhesive. You can find all of these items at your local craft store.
- Once you have your materials, it’s time to start creating your ring. Begin by deciding what design you want your ring to have. Do you want it to be simple or more complex?
- Next, start arranging your sea glass on the ring blank. This is where you can really let your creativity shine! Make sure that the sea glass is securely attached to the blank so that it doesn’t fall off when you’re wearing it.
- Once you’re happy with the arrangement of your sea glass, it’s time to add the adhesive and let it dry. Once it’s dry, your ring is ready to wear!