Welcome to my blog! I’m excited to share my passion for sea glass jewellery with you. In this blog, I’ll be sharing my tips and tricks for finding and working with sea glass. I hope you enjoy and please feel free to share your own experiences in the comments!
How to find sea glass
The best way to find sea glass is to look for it in areas where there is a lot of wave action. This could be on a beach with big waves, or on a smaller scale, near a river or stream where the water is moving quickly. You might also find it in areas where there has been a lot of ship traffic, as glass from old bottles and bowls that were thrown overboard can end up in the water.
How to clean sea glass
Whether you find sea glass on the beach or buy it from a craft store, it needs to be cleaned before you can use it in jewelry or other projects. The best way to clean sea glass is to let nature do it for you by putting it in a mesh bag and letting it tumble in the waves for a few days. If you’re in a hurry, you can clean it with a vinegar and water solution or rubbing alcohol.
How to drill sea glass
Sea glass drilling is a great way to create unique jewelry. You can use a wide variety of drill bits to create different sizes and shapes of holes. It’s important to use the right type of drill bit for sea glass so that you don’t damage the glass. This guide will show you how to drill sea glass so that you can create beautiful jewelry.
First, you need to gather your supplies. You will need a power drill, sea glass, water, and a diamond tipped drill bit. Make sure that the drill bit is specifically designed for glass or ceramic. If you are using a battery operated power drill, make sure that it is fully charged before you begin.
Next, fill a container with water and place the sea glass in it. This will help to keep the glass cool while you are drilling. It’s important to work slowly and carefully when drilling sea glass. If you go too fast, you run the risk of shattering the glass. Start by making a small pilot hole in the center of the piece of sea glass. Once you have made a small hole, increase the size of the hole by slowly turning the drill bit. Continue increasing the size of the hole until it is large enough for your needs.
Once you have drilled the hole, remove any sharp edges with a file or sandpaper. rinse off the glass in water and allow it to dry completely before using it in jewelry or other projects
How to wire wrap sea glass
Wire wrapping is one of the most popular ways to turn sea glass into jewelry. To wire wrap sea glass, you will need the following supplies:
-Needle nose pliers
- Cut a piece of wire about 18 inches long. This will be your base wire.
- String your sea glass onto the base wire, leaving about 6 inches of wire at the end.
- Using needle nose pliers, make a loop at the end of the wire, being sure to leave enough room to add more sea glass.
- Continue adding sea glass, making loops in between each piece.
- Once you have added all your desired sea glass, make another loop at the end of the wire to finish it off.
- Trim any excess wire and enjoy your new piece of jewelry!
How to make sea glass earrings
To make sea glass earrings, you will need:
-2 pieces of sea glass in the desired shape and size
-1 pair of small wire earring hooks
-1 jump ring
-Needle nose pliers
- Using wire cutters, snip a small piece of wire off of the spool. It should be about 6 inches long.
- Wrap the wire around the top of one piece of sea glass snugly, but not too tightly. Make sure there is about an inch of wire sticking out from the top of the glass.
- Using needle nose pliers, twist the two ends of the wire together to secure them in place. Cut off any excess wire with wire cutters.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 with the second piece of sea glass.
- Attach a jump ring to one earring hook, and then thread it through the loop at the top of one earring. Close the jump ring using needle nose pliers.
- Repeat step 5 with the other earring hook and earring
How to make a sea glass necklace
Making a sea glass necklace is a simple and rewarding project. All you need is some sea glass, wire, and a few basic tools. With a little time and effort, you’ll have a beautiful piece of jewelry to wear or give to someone special.
Here’s what you’ll need:
-A jewellery chain (optional)
- Start by collecting some sea glass. You can find it at beaches, or you can purchase it online. Make sure to wash the sea glass well before you start working with it.
- Cut a piece of wire that is long enough to string all of your sea glass pieces on. Use wire cutters to snip the wire to the desired length.
- String the sea glass onto the wire. You can arrange the pieces however you like, but we recommend alternating between different colors and sizes for a more interesting necklace.
- Once all of your sea glass is strung on the wire, use pliers to make a loop at each end of the wire. This will keep your beads from falling off.
- If desired, thread the wire through a jewellery chain before fastening it closed. Now your necklace is ready to wear!
How to make a sea glass bracelet
You will need:
-Needle nose pliers
- Start by measuring your wrist and cutting a piece of wire that is about 2 inches longer than your measurement.
- Make a loop at one end of the wire with the needle nose pliers by gripping the wire about 1 inch from the end and bending it up to create a 90 degree angle.
- Then, wrap the long end of the wire around the base of the loop you just created, and tuck it in so that it’s flush against the first piece of wire.
- Finally, use the needle nose pliers to grip both pieces of wire and twist them around each other 3-4 times. You want to make sure that this connection is secure, so twist tightly! This will be one half of your bracelet clasp.
- Now it’s time to start adding sea glass! To do this, simply thread a piece of sea glass onto the wire and then make another loop, just like you did in step 2.
- Continue adding sea glass and loops until your bracelet is as long as you’d like it to be.
- When you get to the end, make one final loops and then use your needle nose pliers to twist the two wires together 3-4 times, just like you did at the beginning.
- Trim any excess wire and you’re done!
How to make other sea glass jewelry
You can also wire wrap your sea glass to create beautiful necklaces and pendants, or use it in earrings and bracelets. You will need some basic jewelry making supplies including:
-Needle nose pliers
-Round nose pliers
First, choose the piece of sea glass you would like to use and cut a length of jewelry wire that is twice as long as the piece of sea glass. This will give you enough wire to create a loop at the top of the pendant or earring.
Next, thread the wire through the hole in the sea glass, and then make a loop at the top using needle nose pliers.
Finally, use round nose pliers to create a spiral design around the loop. This will help secure the loop and give your jewelry a more finished look.